Monday, November 29, 2010

metodov raboty

It's dead week, and I am so immersed in the paper writing process that I've found it necessary to express myself through the same medium in ways less serious or academic--thus my return to this blog.

One of the things that always hits me when I'm neck deep in writing several papers is the simple joy that comes from expressing thoughts in words. I know, I know, papers are typically over material considered dense and boring--stuff that most people would potentially avoid reading by setting up dental appointments or visits to awkward relatives--but seriously, I enjoy mastering ideas enough to plot them down on paper in a way other people can begin to grasp the exact same ideas that I've recently restructured.

Gorbachev (you know, the former Soviet leader?) was a fan of this process too. He considered ideas, and the ability to communicate them, to be especially potent. He referred to his words as metodov raboty, or "instruments of accomplishment" (Breslauer, 2002). I think it's especially intriguing how his ideas, and the way he communicated them, truly did change the world completely in ways not matched by many men.

So, I suppose working to master the art of "communication", and striving hard to express my ideas in these papers, might not be a completely futile exercise. I'm not saying that I'm going to be the next Gorbachev, but perhaps these papers are good for more than drowning in. Yeah, I realize I just ended a sentence in a preposition--but this is my blog, so I can do that--and it feels good to be able to say what I want without fearing red ink all over it.

I'm listening to Kanye's new album as I work. It's a must buy.

Till next time.

1 comment:

  1. Matt, I just kind of entered the blogging world, and have been seeking out the blogs of almost everyone I know when I stumbled across yours. May I encourage you to keep writing on here? A) I think you've got some good things to say, and B) I just pushed the button to "follow" you, and if you don't write stuff, that'll be pretty pointless. Also, here is my blog: http://paulmbrown.blogspot.com/I just started it, so I'm still working on the format, but check it out when you get the chance... maybe I'll have improved it by then.

    ReplyDelete